Compared to the Alps, where numbers rival rock concerts (Austria’s legendary Streif attracts up to 100,000 spectators), Lake Louise’s Winterstart downhill and super-G World Cup races could be considered an intimate acoustic recital. But it’s also one where you can get up close and personal. So mark your calendar: November 25-26 for the men’s events, and December 1-3 for women’s.
Still not convinced to start your winter in Louise? Here are our top 10 reasons to join the fun:
- Free fan cheering zone at the finish area, the perfect opportunity to meet your ski hero and get his or her autograph on your helmet.
- Show your love for Team Canada. This is your last chance to cheer our speed skiers on Canadian soil before the PyeongChang Winter Olympics that begin February 9.
- The National Parks access is still free as part of Canada’s 150th celebrations.
- Attend the free Bib Draw Party with all athletes and celebrities.
- Ski at Louise and enjoy low-season numbers.
- Après-ski at the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise in style: raise a toast at Alpine Social, high-tea at the scenic Lakeview Lounge or go all-out at the Walliser Stube restaurant.
- Treat yourself at the Chateau’s spa.
- “Go Canada Go” is your password to free lift tickets and lessons for kids 12 and under.
- Free shuttles from Banff and Lake Louise, and free parking.
- Bragging rights. Join the crew for perks and a jacket when you volunteer for the World Cup.